After you’ve visited your provider of acupuncture treatment in Westchester County, there are things you should to maximize the positive effects of your therapy. Don’t worry, your acupuncture aftercare regimen will be nothing like aftercare after a minor or major surgical or other invasive procedure. Actually, you may come to love your acupuncture aftercare regimen so much you decide to integrate it into your everyday lifestyle.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
Before you can effectively care for yourself after treatment, you need to understand a bit about how this centuries-old Eastern medicine practice works. When you visit a practitioner to get Chinese acupuncture in Dobbs Ferry and the surrounding areas, here’s what to expect. Your acupuncture provider will discuss in-depth the specific conditions you have come in to alleviate. He or she will then evaluate your 12 key organ groups to decide exactly where to position several hair-thin needles to achieve results. Don’t worry: acupuncture needles are not nearly as large as the needles use to give shots. Most patients report feeling minimal, if any, sensation when the needles are inserted. The needles are strategically placed to balance yin and yang in your body and to free up blocked energy and blood flow. Once energy and blood flow freely as intended, symptoms improve.
Follow These Rules for Acupuncture Aftercare
The number one rule? Take it easy! Rest equals healing.
- Exercise is fine … in moderation. In other words, you can take a brisk walk but can’t run a 5K immediately after treatment.
- Heating pad good; ice pack probably not. Heat improves circulation, which is a goal of acupuncture.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine. Relax: you don’t have to quit cold turkey forever, just for the first couple of days after your treatment.
- Unplug. The point of acupuncture is to balance your nerves and body. TV and surfing the Internet are unneeded distractions.
- You are what you eat. Acupuncture removes toxins. Don’t be counterproductive by eating junk food. Stick with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.
Where Can You Go for Acupuncture Treatment in Westchester County?
Acupuncture is a proven therapy for a vast array ailments. To relieve what is ailing you, find a skilled provider of Chinese acupuncture in Dobbs Ferry and the surrounding areas like Eastern Wellness Acupuncture. Contact us to make your appointment today. After your treatment, practice these aftercare tips for the best results. Experience firsthand how acupuncture can change your life.