The idea of letting someone insert a number of needles into your body may be enough to make you cringe, but do you really know what acupuncture treatment in Westchester County, NY, feels like? Most people assume the procedure will hurt, at least a little bit. However, when performed correctly, traditional Chinese acupuncture in Rye Brook shouldn’t hurt at all. In fact, many people report it is quite a relaxing experience.
Does Acupuncture Hurt?
For most people, acupuncture won’t hurt at all. While some individuals do report some measure of discomfort, these patients often have a difficult time staying still during the treatments. The needles used in this procedure are incredibly thin, often thinner than a strand of average human hair. They are also solid, instead of hollow like their hypodermic counterparts, making them more comfortable to use. Some people compare the experience to being bitten by a mosquito, while others don’t feel anything at all. It all depends on where the needles are placed, the experience of your acupuncturist and your level of tolerance. Overall, you should expect to feel no pain.
What Does It Feel Like?
It isn’t uncommon to feel something during traditional Chinese acupuncture in Rye Brook. However, when asked, most patients who have been through a treatment report feelings that differ greatly from the pain many people expect from acupuncture. Some of the most common feelings reported include:
- Heaviness – Some people report acupuncture needles creating the feeling of a small weight placed on the area. This feeling often has a calming effect and may spread.
- Achiness – Those who experience an achy sensation often report it disappears after a few seconds. It often accompanies heaviness.
- Electric Sensations – Some patients claim to feel a small shock when needles are placed, similar to a static shock. This sensation is often associated with areas located near nerves.
- Tingling – A tingling sensation may also occur when acupuncture needles are placed. This tingling may move or come and go throughout the treatment.
- Warmth – A feeling of warmth can sometimes be expected during acupuncture treatment. This pleasant sensation typically occurs after a couple of minutes and feels similar to using a heating pad.
Before you undergo any acupuncture treatment, it’s important to know what it feels like to help alleviate any anxiety or fears. If you’re looking for quality acupuncture treatment, contact us. Our Rye Brook acupuncturists in Westchester County can help you get the relief you need.