If you’re struggling with infertility, you probably are well aware of the benefits of IVF and IUI treatments. However, you may not know acupuncture is a helpful complement to these infertility procedures.
Ideal Treatment Timeline for IVF
If you are pursuing in-vitro fertilization in hopes of conceiving, most acupuncturists agree the best time to pursue acupuncture for infertility is before your fertility doctor retrieves your eggs and before he transfers the embryo into your uterus. Your menstrual cycle and your IVF cycle are the same. On the first day of your cycle, your physician will prescribe birth control and potentially Lupron, a drug that suppresses your ovaries. On the third day of your cycle, your doctor will inject hormones to stimulate egg production. The ideal time for your acupuncture sessions is as follows:
- Session One: Any cycle day between five and eight.
- Session Two: Any cycle day between nine and 13, before egg retrieval.
- Session Three: At least two days before your IVF transfer. This treatment will make the uterine lining more hospitable to the embryo.
- Sesson Four: Ideally, three to five days after implantation. This will increase the odds of the embryo attaching to the uterus and beginning to grow.
Ideal Treatment Timeline for IUI
The recommended treatment schedule for women undergoing intrauterine (artificial) insemination (IUI) is a bit different than the schedule for IVF. The below recommendations hold true, whether a woman is taking Clomid to stimulate egg growth or not.
- Session One: Any cycle day between three and seven to boost egg production.
- Session Two: During week two before ovulation.
- Session Three: Three to five days after your IUI procedure. This acupuncture session is critical because it encourages embryo attachment and growth.
- Session Four: Two weeks post implantation, after you receive a positive pregnancy test to reduce the odds of miscarriage.
If you get your period at any time after your IVF or IUI treatment, don’t give up. Many women have experienced the joy of a successful treatment after multiple treatments that did not work. It’s up to you whether to pursue acupuncture between fertility treatments. However, you should know this proven technique can help to balance your emotions during this exciting yet stressful time.
Are You Looking for a Scarsdale Acupuncture Provider?
If you are trying to conceive and struggling, contact us at Eastern Wellness Acupuncture. We provide compassionate and skilled acupuncture treatment in Scarsdale and the surrounding areas for infertility. Acupuncture is a centuries-old proven treatment and we’ve seen it benefit many couples struggling with infertility. You could be next!